Skip to content

Organizational Effectiveness: Driving Efficiency Like Elon Musk

    Elon Musk in a black t-shirt during an interview on Twitter organizational effectiveness with Tucker Carlson.

    Through various affiliate programs, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases when you click affiliate links. This is at no extra charge to you and offsets our cost of creating this content.

    Organizational effectiveness is a key factor in the success of any company. When companies operate efficiently, they can reduce costs, increase productivity, and remain competitive in their industry. One example of a leader who has successfully implemented an efficient organizational structure is Tesla and Twitter CEO, Elon Musk.

    In a recent interview with Tucker Carlson on Fox News, Musk discussed how he was able to reduce Twitter’s workforce by 80% and still achieve the same level of efficiency, or even better, with the remaining 20%. There are valuable lessons that managers can learn from Musk’s interview.

    In the interview, Musk stated, “If you’re not trying to run some sort of glorified activist organization, you can really let go of a lot of people it turns out.” While Musk’s comment was in reference to Twitter’s previous management’s shadow banning and silencing of voices, his approach to organizational efficiency is relevant to any company.

    As Carlson says in this interview, this is one of the great business stories of the year. Yet very few people are aware of this and understand the implications.

    What is Organizational Effectiveness

    Organizational efficiency refers to the ability of a company or organization to operate effectively, using the fewest possible resources to achieve its objectives. This involves optimizing the use of resources, such as time, money, and labor, to achieve the desired outcome.

    In other words, organizational efficiency is about ensuring that the company is making the most of its resources to produce the desired output while minimizing waste, inefficiencies, and redundancies. By increasing efficiency, a company can improve its profitability, customer satisfaction, and competitiveness in the market.

    80/20 Rule in Achieving Organizational Effectiveness

    Musk’s experience highlights the importance of the 80/20 rule, where managers focus on the 20% of inputs that lead to 80% of the expected outcomes.

    In the case of Twitter, Musk identified that 80% of the workforce was not contributing to the desired outcomes. By letting go of those employees and focusing on the remaining 20%, Musk was able to achieve the same level of efficiency or even better, with a much smaller workforce. This approach is not suitable for every company, but managers can still apply the 80/20 rule by identifying the critical inputs and optimizing their processes.

    Examples of Successful Organizational Efficiency Strategies

    Toyota is another company that has successfully implemented this approach to organizational efficiency. The company’s “just-in-time” production system aims to produce only what is needed, when it is needed, and in the exact amount needed. By streamlining its production process and focusing on efficiency, Toyota has become one of the most successful car companies in the world.

    SpaceX Launch of a white rocket under blue skies.

    Other successful companies, such as Apple and Amazon, have also implemented strategies to achieve organizational effectiveness. Apple is known for its streamlined product design process and for placing an emphasis on the customer experience.

    Amazon has implemented a decentralized decision-making process, allowing employees at all levels of the organization to make timely decisions without requiring approval from higher-ups.


    Subscribe Today

    Get business smart and stay ahead of everyone else. Keep up-to-date with the latest news, research, and trends from us with a digital magazine subscription.

    Master Influencer Magazine Spring/June 2023 Issue cover featuring a woman with brown hair, red lipstick, a blue floral dress with her hand on her face
    Master Influencer Magazine Winter/February 2023 Issue cover featuring a woman with brown hair, red lipstick, a light pink blouse with her hand on her head.
    Master Influencer Magazine Summer August 2022 Issue cover featuring a woman with black hair, red lipstick, a white top and her hand on the back of her neck.
    Cover page of Fall/December 2021 Issue featuring a girl with brown hair, brown eyes and red lipstick smiling and looking upwards.

    YES! Start my free subscription to Master Influencer Magazine

    How to Achieve Organizational Effectiveness

    To implement the 80/20 rule in their own organizations, managers should start by identifying the most important inputs that lead to the desired outcomes. By focusing on these inputs and streamlining processes, companies can reduce costs, increase productivity, and remain competitive in their industry. This approach can be especially effective in industries with rapidly changing technologies or markets.

    Streamlining processes and simplifying approval processes can also lead to greater efficiency. Managers should encourage their employees to make timely decisions and provide them with the tools and resources needed to do so. By removing unnecessary steps in the decision-making process, companies can reduce the time it takes to bring products or services to market.

    Reducing the workforce can also be an effective way to increase efficiency, but it is important to consider the potential drawbacks or challenges. For example, reducing the workforce can lead to decreased morale among employees and may result in the loss of valuable knowledge and expertise. Managers should be prepared to address these challenges by providing support and training to remaining employees and by implementing strategies to retain key employees.

    The Benefits of Organizational Efficiency

    Organizational efficiency has numerous benefits for companies, including increased productivity, improved profitability, enhanced customer satisfaction, and greater competitiveness in the market.

    In addition, by minimizing errors and improving the quality of products and services, companies can enhance customer satisfaction and loyalty. Furthermore, organizational efficiency can make companies more competitive by offering more competitive pricing and higher quality products or services, attracting more customers and gaining market share. Organizational efficiency is a critical element for companies seeking to succeed in today’s market, enabling them to achieve more with less and gain a significant advantage over their competitors.


    Organizational effectiveness is a critical factor in a company’s success. By implementing the 80/20 rule, streamlining processes, and optimizing operations, managers can achieve increased productivity, reduced costs, and better customer satisfaction.

    By focusing on organizational efficiency, companies can remain competitive in their industry and achieve long-term success.

    Shaun Mendonsa, PhD is an influencing expert and pharmaceutical development leader. He writes on the topics of influence and persuasion, and develops next generation drugs in human pharma by advising international pharmaceutical CROs and CMOs. He can be reached at [email protected].


    Elon Musk, Leadership Development, 80/20 Rule, Simplification, Organizational Effectiveness

    As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

    Advertised Business Content

    Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of, Inc, or its affiliates.

    How useful was this post?

    Click on a star to vote!

    Average rating 3.9 / 5. Vote count: 288

    No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

    Leave a ReplyCancel reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Available for Amazon Prime